To modify an existing post or add a new one click the relevant post type name in the Content area of the Edit tab. The post table now displays showing all your existing posts of that type.
Select the desired post and click the Edit action. This opens a new popup screen in which you can modify the details of your post. The fields are governed by whatever was configured for that post type but the generic details fields are listed below:
- PostID - this is the unique ID for the post, it is not editable.
- Active/Approved - 10.1 posts created in admin are approved by default, posts created front end via createPosts web service are unapproved by default. Unapproved posts cannot be displayed via the searchposts web service or in front end pages or searches
- Title - this is the main title for the post. It's also what appears in the post table listing.
- Description - this is a rich text field allowing you to add full details for the post.
- Picture - this allows you to assicate a picture with the post.
- Start Date - Calendar picker, this field only appears if a post kind of calendars, news and events was chosen.
- Start Time - time picker, this field only appears if a post kind of calendars, news and events was chosen and all day eventsposts below is not ticked. Be sure to enter a valid value for time especially for events that span several days it ensures that they are represented correctly in the front end calendar view.
- End Date - Calendar picker, this field only appears of a post kind of calendars, news and events was chosen
- End Time - time picker, this field only appears if a post kind of calendars, news and events was chosen. (see note for start time)
- All day event posts - check box, this makes the distinction between Events on a day (birthdays anniversaries) and all day events that is events who's duration is the full day and which the start and end time are relevant. These are handled differently in JSN and XML outputs. Checking the box removes the time entry field (added in 10.5)
- Asset Class - this is a drop down list of all the asset classes in use on the site currently. Asset classes govern who has access to part of the site. Choose one of the available asset classes. Leave it at default if you don't want to select a specific class.
- Recurrence - this field only appears if a post kind of calendars, news and events was chosen. Its a drop down defaulting to never. If an entry other than never is chosen then new fields appear to govern the recurring nature of the event. The radio button and option offered under recurrence will depend on what period was selected from the drop down. Selecting daily gives the option to repeat every x number of days or weekdays only. Whereas weekly allows the event to repeat on a given day every week. There are similar variants for monthly and yearly.
- Range of recurrence - again this field only appears if a post kind of calendars, news and events was chosen and if a recurrence option other than never was selected. It governs the period of the recurrence with the following fields:
- Start - this is a date picker for the start of the recurrence period. Note this date can be a lot later than the start date defined above, for recurring events this date take precedence.
- Radio button options for:
- No end - if no end date is set formally.
- End after x occurrences - if you want a specific number of recurring events.
- End by date - this is a date picker for the end of the recurrence period. Note this date can be different from the end date defined above, for recurring events this date takes precedence.
The rest of the fields for the post will depend on what was configured for the relevant post type. The post type field label will be the label for the field and whether it's a number or a string will govern its input. In the event that one of the configurable post type fields was another post type then a single or multi select drop down will be presented for the single select drop down this provides a cross referenced list of posts names in that drop down. The multi select comprises three boxes; unselected values, selected values and a search filter. The filter filters the option values to those containing the entered text. You can also double-click values to add/remove them or add all the items in the list with a single click. 10.4
A tag field presents the user with a field that can be used to add a comma-separated list of tags/keywords/categories. This provides an auto-suggest dropdown for previously entered tags for that post type. 10.4
A lat/long field will present the user with a geographical location picker 10.1.
In addition to the generic and configurable fields above, posts also allow additional information to be associated with them:
- Downloads - allows you to attach files to the post via a popup.
- Internal Links - allows you to associate links to the post via a popup.
- External links - allows you to associate external links to the post via a popup.